CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 4, 2010

My talk at Mom’s funeral

I am in the middle of packing up my house ( which isn’t something I want to go into right now) and I came up on my talk that I wrote for my Mom’s funeral. This is something personal to me but I am actually posting this so that if I do accidentally lose the notebook, I have it here.

“ My words just won’t do justice to explain the beautiful person my Mother was. Like a magnificent butterfly fluttering from one flower to another, touching each one in different places, she did that to each of our lives. Like icing on a cupcake, double scoop on an ice cream cone, the warm sun shining on a breezy day or your favorite meal cooked after a long drive home- she made things that much better.

A little bit about her: Ma was kind of shy if she didn’t know you, but that didn’t mean she didn’t have anything to say. She would buy little gifts to surprise her friends, but didn’t want to get anything for herself. She was FIERCELY loyal to the ones she loved. If you crossed her family, she wouldn’t have it! Having her in your corner was a blessing! :) She was a sweet one with a feisty side to her! My Ma always wanted to be that kind of person that people love, think is so sweet and make someone’s day- but she was that person and didn’t even know it!

My Ma gave so much to this life. She was a free spirit, for sure. She loved simple things and was easy to please. I can almost smell her kitchen. Her and John always were cooking up a storm and trying different recipes. My heart is just broken. I feel like it is a great disservice to have taken her from this world. If we had more people like her, there would be a lot more smiles, no doubt.

She always made me feel so important, always checked up on things I had talked about in previous conversations. Always made me feel like she REALLY cared, worried and loved me. She was a best friend. And, I know Mother Daughter relationships are a little bit more special, but you know, the more I talk to people that were in her life, the more I realize that she did that for everyone. She made all her friends feel important and loved by her. She just has amazed me with her ability to make so many people feel like they really do matter.

The last time I talked with her she was planning a trip to visit me and she asked how long she should plan to stay. 7 or 10 days? I said a month or just move here!! And now, in some aspects, she got what she wanted, to be with everyone she loved all at the same time. You better believe she is still with us; not just for the fact that she loves us but b/c she is too nosy not to! ;)

Remember her with me:

Remember the love she had for her grandkids and Preston!

Her cute Dakota accent

her secret love for reality shows like Survivor and Big Brother

Remember her enjoying reading a good book on the couch

the way she loved to sleep in on her days off from work and take naps (arms up just like both my boys)

her appreciation for good music (old and new)

remember her telling you she loved you or giving you a good hug

her cute little legs walking into a room

Remember her laugh after she snuck up behind you and scared the living daylights out of you

the way she told a good story

how she listened like a loyal best friend would

the hard work she put into each of us

Her precious little feet

Her love for animals

the love she had for YOU

And, Remember the way she was, REMEMBER TO REMEMBER HER.”

1 comments:

Brianne said...

AMAZING! Sounds like a great women. She was a good mother because she has an amazing daughter! Let me know if I can help you in any way